I’m extremely excited to share this really really delicious recipe with you! A currant-orange galette-very fruity and perfect with wipped cream, mascarpone or clotted cream. I baked the galette last weekend and after 20 minutes the whole galette was eaten up…
The recipe is from Jenny’s blog Zucker,Zimt und Liebe, she baked a blueberry galette and served it with ice cream. For the blueberries I used currants, the black and the red ones, and added an orange for more flavour. We always have a lot of currants in our freezer. That is because we have currant bushes in our garden and in the summer they are so loaded that we can’t eat them all up. We usually use the frozen currants for ice cream. To change it up a little, I sometimes like to try something new like this scrumptious galette.
- 200gr. flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 100gr. cold butter diced
- 80ml cold water
- ca.230gr. currants
- zest from 1 orange
- 1 orange in slices
- 2 tbsp flour
- ca. 40gr. sugar (I used vanilla sugar)
- 1 egg
- 3tbsp brown sugar
- For the pastry: Mix together flour, sugar and salt. Add the cold butter and rub it between your fingers until the butter pieces are pea-sized. Add the cold water and kneal until everything is combined.
- Cover the pastry with a cling film and let rest in the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C and prepare a baking tin.
- For the filling: Put the currants, orange slices, orange zest, flour and sugar in a bowl and mix together. Set aside.
- Take the pastry out of the fridge and roll out (ca.30cm) on a floured surface. The shape doesn’t need to be perfect- a rustic look is welcome!
- Put the filling in the middle of the circel, but leave a verge of 3cm free. Fold the verge over so that it covers the filling a little. Since you have to go around in a circle the verge naturally overlaps, which is what we are looking for. Press the verge slightely down.
- Brush the edge of the galette with a whisked egg and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-30min. It tastes best right out of the oven and served with whipped cream, clotted cream or ice cream. Enjoy!
Your Lila ❤